CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: controllers

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2004-07-15 06:26:30 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jrunyan02" <jrunyan02@y...>
wrote:
> Looking for a good controller...
>
> I would like something that both controls the motors (spindle and
> axis motors) as well as allows feedback from encoders. It is my
> understanding that hobbycnc equipment simply controls the motors,
no
> feedback.
>
> What kind of software does it require to interface with these?
Does
> something like deskNC allow for feedback or is it made mostly for
> stepper motors?

DeskCNC is a Windows based controller AND Cam programming software
program. It uses an external controller to assure smooth pulse
trains of up to about 45,000 steps per second on 4 simultaneous axes.

The controller board serves as both an I/O breakout board for relays,
switches, etc, and as a connection node for the Step and direction
signals for 4 axes. It connects to the serial or a USB port for
compatability with most present and near future PC's.

We offer a low cost, Step and direction driven closed loop servo
driver board that is suitable for controlling desktop sized CNC
machines. It is very unlikely that you will notice any difference in
performance in this size machine between the step and direction
control method and any other servo based system. The driver boards
implement a PID loop using motor mounted encoders.

For the last year, IMService has been offering a series of low cost
kits with servo drivers and motors, utilizing some surplus but new
Pittman motors. We have nearly depleted the available stocks of
these motors and will be introducing a new motor within the next 2
weeks.

The new motor is custom designed to work with our 30 volt, 5 amp
servo driver boards. With a 500 line encoder the motors will be $90
each.

With the lessons learned over the last year and a half of
development, sales, and support of these servo systems, we will also
offer some additional aids in implementing servo based systems.

1) Connections. We have a new encoder pigtail in production that
will enable plug and play connections to our motors. One end is an
encoder connector and the other is a standard 4 pin mini-din or S-
video female connector. This with a standard s-video patch cord and
a panel mount connector, makes for near brainless servo motor
connections. The new motors also have quick connect terminals to
make power lead connections very simple, with tools that are hardware
store class, rather than electronics lab class.

2) Power supplys will be about doubled to take advantage of the
higher torque of the new motors. We will be offering a new torroidal
transformer, fine tuned to match the rest of the system. (In addition
to the $50, 750 VA beasties that I mentioned the other day)

3) The motors themselves are 2800 rpm, 1.75 amps, 20 oz-in
continuous, 171 oz-in peak torque. They seem to be perfect for
direct driving a sherline rotary 4th axis.

4) Enclosed belt reduction assemblies will be available next week,
that will provide a 1000 rpm output shaft speed at 56 oz-in
continuous and over 475 oz-in peak. These have a shaft extension
that will fit a knob or crank for manual machine operation. (About
$120 per axis, including motor)

A picture of a prototype mill with these motors installed was on
display at the Names model engineering show in April. We will have
them on display next at Iron Fever, in York, PA, on August 13-15th.

http://www.vectorcam.com/names/names2004/

There are just a few kits available with the Pittman motors and after
that they will no longer be supported for new customers. Servo
Systems has some stock of a similar motor, but the last time I
checked they were also getting close to the bottom of the barrel.

P.S. There are some interesting developments coming to DeskCNC,
unfortunately I am not at liberty to discuss them for another week or
two. Just thought I'd throw that out. ;-) Stay tuned

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com

Discussion Thread

jrunyan02 2004-07-14 21:36:11 UTC controllers Fred Smith 2004-07-15 06:26:30 UTC Re: controllers