CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Step Motors with Feedback From Sargon DRO ?

Posted by reed_irion
on 2004-07-17 22:30:41 UTC
These are indeed glass scales. I think this type of encoder is very
common as Sargon is "the" cheap encoder brand. According to the
manual, the outputs are quadrature. Each axis only has five lines so
I could use the silly scope to figure out what is what. I was
thinking all I have to do is put a breakout connector before it goes
into the digital readout. Maybe throw in some TTL buffers just for
laughs. So do I just plug the encoder signal back into the EMC ?
How do I tell EMC that I am using a stepper motor instead of a servo
motor ? Or does it not matter since I am using freqmod ?

P.S. The feedrates you suggested seem to be working out.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> reed_irion wrote:
>
> >I have step motors on my mill and would like to use my Sargon DRO
as
> >positional feedback. Does the EMC support this ?
> >

> Probably. If these are traditonal glass-scale linear encoders, or
something
> similar, then it should be possible. You need some interface to
read the
> encoder output. There are now half a dozen ways to do this.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

reed_irion 2004-07-17 15:47:18 UTC Step Motors with Feedback From Sargon DRO ? Jon Elson 2004-07-17 22:15:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Step Motors with Feedback From Sargon DRO ? reed_irion 2004-07-17 22:30:41 UTC Re: Step Motors with Feedback From Sargon DRO ? Jon Elson 2004-07-18 12:55:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Step Motors with Feedback From Sargon DRO ?