CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: encoder steps

Posted by vavaroutsos
on 2004-08-05 08:53:23 UTC
Aaron, as Tom explained the answer is yes, but this has nothing to do
with the fact that you have 4 wires on the encoder. The A/not A and
B/not B are differential outputs. This means the value of A or B is
determined by comparing A to not A and B to not B. Ground is not used
as a reference. This makes the signals more immune to noise as any
noise will be common mode (assuming wires are twisted together) and
cancelled by the differential comparison.

~petev

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Bott <azzi_b@y...>
wrote:
> I have 250 physical step encoders on the mill I am converting. As
these read by 4 channels A, not A, B, not B does this mean that there
are effectively 1000 actual steps - ie 1 rpm = 1000 steps ?