CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: CPNC and the BOX

on 2000-05-03 16:22:46 UTC
Carlos, well our first missionary died quickly(Hoyt),
but heck , give it a try. I do not see anybody in this
group using IndexerLPT, probably because you have
to program your own GUI.

Steve

----------
From: Carlos Guillermo <carlos@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: CPNC and the BOX
Date: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 11:20 AM

Ron Ginger wrote:

> The only way to make a decent CPNC system with a windows GUI is to use a
> separate motion controller box to handle the real time stuff. We had
> some discussions here a few weeks ago about developing such a box, but
> that died.

> FlashCut has a nice one, and its cheap enough to be widely used. BUT-
> they refuse to release the specs to program it. I harped on this at
> NAMES to anyone that would listen. I told alot of guys to avoid buying
> FlashCut because they were offering a closed package that could not be
> expanded. If you buy FlashCut now you better like the program, because
> its the ony one you can run- did anyone ever buy a stereo that only came
> with one song?

First of all, hats off to guys like Ron Ginger and Kelly (of KCAM - is he
on
the list? http://www.kellyware.com) who are spending what I imagine to be
countless hours on WINDOWS-based cnc control software for guys like us.

Secondly, I 100% agree that the realtime control of the motors should be
handled by a separate "box". So, my question is, how much are we willing
PAY for this separate "box"? And, how much would you expect for Flashcut
charge for their box alone? They sell the box WITH their software for
$1100. Would we pay $550 for the box? Or maybe $350?...

And finally, (I'm trying to pick my words carefully, and no, I honestly
don't have a financial interest in them)... what can the Flashcut box do
that the IndexerLPT (http://www.abilitysystems.com) driver software "box"
can't do better?
--- They claim "realtime" control (since it's a driver at the DOS level?)
--- They blow the pants off of Flashcut as far as steprate output (7300 Hz
vs. 100,000+ Hz)
--- They are a purely software solution...upgradeable & non-fryable
--- They are already have an open protocol and programming interface

My point is, we'll have to pay SOMETHING for the "box". Will it be less
than the $275 cost of IndexerLPT, AND, will it be any better?

I know I've harped on about IndexerLPT quite a bit on this list. So I've
kept pretty quiet about it for a while. I couldn't help myself this time.
Funny, I almost feel like I've become a missionary for Indexer.

Carlos Guillermo
VERVE Engineering & Design

Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets
you see and manage all of your finances all in one place.
http://click.egroups.com/1/3012/2/_/423600/_/957377776/