CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mount motor with ballscrew!

ivartint wrote:

>Hallo!
>
>Can anyone tell me who I can mount stepper motor with ballscrew?

The proper way is to have two angular-contact bearings at one end of the
leadscrew, with a threaded collar or some other method of establishing the
correct preload on the bearings to tightly constrain the leadscrew in the
axial direction. The motor should be mounted coaxially with the screw, and
a flexible coupling without backlash should be used to eliminate any
strain on the motor shaft due to misalignment.

One other method is to use an angular contact bearing at each end of
the screw, keeping the screw under tension to reduce the tendency of
long, thin shafts to "whip".

On very small machines, people get away with attaching the screw directly
to the motor, and using the motor's bearings to carry all of these loads.

(I did this on a laser photoplotter with an 8 Oz carriage that moves at
about 1 IPM. But, it is really not good practice on cutting machines that
will exert significant axial and radial force on the motor shaft.)

ivartint 2004-08-12 10:55:39 UTC Mount motor with ballscrew! skykotech 2004-08-12 13:50:11 UTC Re: Mount motor with ballscrew! Jon Elson 2004-08-12 21:28:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mount motor with ballscrew! JanRwl@A... 2004-08-12 22:11:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Mount motor with ballscrew! skykotech 2004-08-13 02:07:44 UTC Re: Mount motor with ballscrew! ivartint 2004-08-16 09:09:31 UTC Re: Mount motor with ballscrew!