CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help!

on 2004-08-15 18:55:06 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> theokspindoctor wrote:
>
> >I am in the painful process of retrofitting a Boss 6 Series 1
> >Bridgeport mill using the original stepper motors and new Gecko
201
> >drivers with a Galil stepper board and CNC Lite controlling
software
> >from Cam Soft Inc.
> >
> >At this point I can move the motors at a slow speed the distance
> >specify in diagnostic mode and am able to write G code programs
> >get proper movement. However I cannot seem to change the
feedrate
> >and the rapids are very slow.
> >
> >The motors are wired according to Les Newel's suggestions (thanks
> >Les!) in half winding mode using only 2 of the 3 phases on the
Gecko
> >drivers.
> >
> What 3 phases? The Gecko 201 is a 2-phase bipolar driver. You
must mean
> only using 2 of the 3 wires of each phase of the MOTOR. That is
correct.

> > Am using a 340Kohm resistor although Les recommended no
> >resistor. The resistor limits the amperage to about 6 amps, I
think.

> >Does it matter that the motors are 200 steps per revolution and
the
> >Gecko drives 2000 steps per rev?
> >

> The Gecko is a x10 microstepping driver. With a 200 full-step per
rev
> motor, then you need 2000 step pulses to get a full revolution.
>
> >It seems that I cannot jog, but can move pitifully with G code
> >programming.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >The tech help at Cam Soft has not been able to solve the problem
and
> >Mariss at GEcko Drives is on vacation until next week.
> >

> Is the problem that nothing you do on the software gets a faster
> movement, or
> does the motor clatter and lose sync? If it is a case of the
software,
> has the
> setup of the software been told it takes 2000 steps/rev? I don't
know
> CNC Lite, so I can't go much farther than that.
>
> I will mention that I am running a stepper-driven machine with
Gecko 201A
> drives and my Universal Stepper Controller at 48,000 (micro)steps
per
> second,
> which works out to 1440 RPM. You pretty much can't do that with a
> software-only
> solution.
>
> Jon

Thanks Jon,

I have 8 wire motors with 4 "coils". They are wired with 2 of the
coils not connected and 2 of the coils connected to the Gecko drive.
The ones connected are "across" from each other I think. The wires
go to the 4 connectors on the Gecko drive labelled phase a b c and
d. This is probably a half winding or parallel wiring I think. We
have the 340kOhm resistors across the current set terminals but do
not have the capacitor Mariss describes across the power.

Also, when I tried to wire the motor using the 8 wire parallel setup
described in the white paper from Gecko it burned out the drive.

What does 1440 rpm equate to in terms of movement of the axis. I
have a 2:1 gearing with a 5 pitch lead screw. 10 rotations of the
motor will move the axis 1 inch?? considering these specs? 1440 rpm
would then be 144 inches per minute?

Do you have a 1000 oz/in motor as used in the Bridgeport with your
Gecko driver?

Thanks!

Keith Clark

Discussion Thread

theokspindoctor 2004-08-15 16:16:10 UTC moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help! Jon Elson 2004-08-15 18:35:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help! theokspindoctor 2004-08-15 18:55:06 UTC Re: moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help! theokspindoctor 2004-08-15 19:29:07 UTC Re: moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help! Jon Elson 2004-08-16 09:59:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help! Jon Elson 2004-08-16 10:06:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: moving Bridgeport steppers with Gecko drivers - help!