CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Mill&Drill or Pedestal? More questions

on 2004-08-24 08:14:34 UTC
Go to Lathemaster.com and take a look at his, then find somthing that
looks like it in the UK.

There is no substitute for the square column.

Thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "AbbyKatt" <cnc@a...> wrote:
> Right,
>
> Hands clammy, body trembling, thirsty, numb-tongue, lack of logical
> reasoning, babbling, incoherence, excessive sweating, inreased
pulse,
> flushing of face: This could only mean one thing has happened to
me: I
> have prepurchase consumer anxiety. :)
>
> So, I wanted to get a mill/drill, then did some more looking and
found
> this great UK website.
> They have the mill drill I want:
> http://www.chesteruk.net/Eagle%2025%20Mill%20Specification.htm
>
> But, for a bit more, they have a full pedestal mill with
> tilting/swivelling head.
> http://www.chesteruk.net/626turretmill.htm
>

> The problem with the mill-drill head, as many people have mentioned
is
> that it has a round column. Am I correct in assuming that the fine-
feed
> also makes use of the rack and pinion, just like the quill lever
does?
> Is this anywhat accurate, or will this be a terribly wibbly-wobbly
waste
> of time and money? Or do they sometimes use a separate leadscrew
for the
> find-feed that's easily CNCable?
>
> The turret mill looks fantastic! Of course, it's very expensive.
Still,
> it's the cheapest mill of this type I've seen new and it looks very
good
> value (Yes, yes, I know the Ebay argument, but I just finished
restoring
> a lathe I got of it at a bargain price, to find that the whole
thing has
> lots of play/backlash and wobble.. The last thing I want to do it
to end
> up with another 1/2 ton of worn metal)
>
> The head tilt and swivel on the turret mill look fantastic! There's
> certainly a lot of uses I can think of for this. Even if the price
is a
> little high. Now I know from my Sherline that starting small ends up
> costing you just about as much money as does going with the
fullblown
> kit, so my decision is leaning heavily towards the turret mill.
This is
> why I'm posting: Can you guys give me inspiration, or common sense?
Just
> HOW bad is the mill/drill really? I'm not making engine-parts, but I
> really just want a bigger workspace than my sherline has... Give me
your
> 2c, or that last bit of inspiration I need to tip the scales and
order
> that turret mill right now! :)
>
> And just because you'd need to know, this is what I use my Sherline
for:
> .Making jewelry
> .Making jewelry molds (mild steel)
> .Cutting thin metal strips (ie 2D machining), also for jewelry
> .Engraving
>
> I imagine I'd so some more, bold, heavier projects. But so far the
small
> size of my Sherline has limited my imagination. :/ (It'a a great
mill,
> however.. Just TOO small)
>
> ~Abby

Discussion Thread

mechanicals01 2004-08-22 03:49:22 UTC Hello everyone AbbyKatt 2004-08-22 06:06:07 UTC Mill&Drill or Pedestal? More questions stuart dean 2004-08-22 06:15:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mill&Drill or Pedestal? More questions industrialhobbies 2004-08-24 08:14:34 UTC Re: Mill&Drill or Pedestal? More questions