CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MOTOR SIZE CALCULATION FOR RAPID STOPPING

Posted by Leslie Watts
on 2004-08-27 05:09:41 UTC
Hi John

I think you might be having some further confusion with units.

A 15 NM peak torque makes a lot more sense than a 15 KN peak
linear force though!

Just as a sanity check... a 15NM stepper would be quite large...
big enough to be unpleasant to pick up off the floor!

I can do a run for you as a check if I have a good physical description
of the system. I need to know thae following:

1) total moving mass of the table in kG
2) minimum pulley diameter for the timing belt you are using
3) total travel in meters
4) desired maximum speed in meters/s
5) range of travel where speed must be constant (if any)

I can guess the friction from your statement that it is a ball bearing
mechanism.

The other figures don't have to be exact...just a good guess.

I have built some large reciprocating timing belt drives similar
to your description before. I usually ended up using servo motors
because a stepper required an expensive gear down transmission.
This made it more expensive for the same level of performance.

Les

Leslie M.Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger Georgia