CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vacuum for machine shop

Posted by Ken Jenkins
on 2004-09-01 08:24:39 UTC
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:48:43 -0000
> From: "tsomer2003" <feasty@...>
> Subject: Re: Vacuum for the machine shop
>
> Ken,
>
> Have you ever had a Fein vacuum. They're rated pretty quiet-- around
> 6o decibels. One of the ways they do this is by venting the air
> around the rim of the canister instead of through a vent pipe.

No, I don't know Fein. Interesting idea for exhaust though. The downside is
when you want to focus exhausted air through a hose you can't. I think the
main reason for noise with vacuums isn't air flow so much as the high RPM
motors.

> I've not examined the Shop Vac QSP model but found it tempting.

Yeah, I went on the ShopVac site but couldn't find it. My local Home Depot
still stocks it though. It was around $130. The filters ain't cheap @$10
but I make them last by keeping them clean and blowing them out (kinda
defeats the whole HEPA deal though). One of the main features I like is the
chrome steel drum.

> Now to the point: someone suggested two hoses at the router, one for
> intake and the other to blow air towards the intake. I was wondering
> if the canister vac could be rigged this way. Yes, I suspect heat
> could become a problem, but a second drop canister could mitigate
> that.

Honestly I don't think you need the second hose. This vacuum is pretty
powerful. If you get an intake close to the working end of the router it
will get all of the sawdust. That said ... I would go to a more conventional
dust collection system if you're running for hours at a time. I don't know
how well low end vacuums will hold up continuous duty.

Check out the ones at Grizzly www.grizzly.com

http://www.grizzly.com/products/mach-specs-pdfs.cfm?key=570

Ken Jenkins

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2004-09-01 08:24:39 UTC Re: Vacuum for machine shop