CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...)

Posted by skykotech
on 2004-09-03 21:27:47 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> skykotech wrote:
>
> >the amc 25a8 brush amps I posted about will work fine for my
motors with tachs, but it got me thinking. Why not use a small cpld
and dac to make a simple encoder frequecy to tach voltage converter?
Should be simple and under $10 in parts and would open our options to
many of these surplus amps for velocity control. Something to think
about anyway...

> The reason is that the DC tach is what is called a continuous-time
> device. This is good in control
> systems, as there is no change in bandwidth at different speeds.
An
> encoder is discontinuous-time,
> in that there is no information provided between encoder counts.
This
> is not a big deal at high
> speed, but it becomes a big deal at low speeds, and standstill.
The
> slower it is moving, the slower
> the updates are produces. A system that depends on constant
feedback,
> like a servo positioning
> system, needs constant velocity information, if it is to respond
> vigorously to perturbations, such
> as cutting teeth biting into workpieces. It is almost impossible
> truly close the loop when the
> sampling rate goes from zero to tens of KHz in a fraction of a
second.

Confused here Jon. The voltage from the tach would go from zero to
several volts in a fraction of a second also. How do you close the
loop with that? Or are you saying that any DAC used would be too
slow? Also, I don't see how a frequency to voltage converter would
be discontinous...at 0 hz you get 0V...same with a tach. At 0 rpm on
the motor I doubt your tach is putting out voltage, unless it is
violating some laws of physics/electronics.

> I should point out that my analog servo system on my Bridgeport is
able
> to prevent stick-slip
> friction from domination motion down to .01 IPM. That works ou to
an
> encoder count rate of
> about 3 Hz. At that velocity, the DC tach is producing 7 uV of
output.
> No, I can't measure it,
> I can only extrapolate it from the V/KRPM rating of the tach.
You'd
> need SOME fancy DAC
> to handle that kind of dynamic range (in this case, roughly 7 uV to
14
> V, or 2 million to 1).
> And, you can't depend on filtering, as the servo drifts, using a
low-res
> DAC, it would occasionally
> have to put out a big pulse to restore the servo balance.
Otherwise,
> the servo would just drift
> around open loop.

*shrug* delta sigma dacs are 24 bits (16 million to 1) and have a
response time of at least 30khz for the one I have in mind. Are you
sure the lines from your tach are not picking up noise greater than
7uV? I can't even measure 7uV very accurately on my lab bench with
my $$$ oscilloscope. Also, it may be feasable to forgoe using a DAC
and just pwm an RC buffered by an op-amp...depends on the clock speed
of the Xilinx part as to how many bits of resolution you can get vs
response time. Something on the order of 16-18 bits and 1khz should
be doable.

Curious what the brush amps that use encoder input for velocity
feedback are doing inside? Something similar?

Rick

Discussion Thread

skykotech 2004-09-03 17:41:49 UTC encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...) Jon Elson 2004-09-03 18:53:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...) skykotech 2004-09-03 21:27:47 UTC Re: encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...) Jon Elson 2004-09-04 19:23:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...) skykotech 2004-09-04 22:41:38 UTC Re: encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...) Stephen Wille Padnos 2004-09-04 23:51:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...) Jon Elson 2004-09-05 12:14:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: encoder to tach converter idea (was killer deal...)