CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There?

on 2004-09-09 19:17:05 UTC
The machine we got had six degrees of freedom (waist, arm, elbow, wrist,
hand, finger). Lincoln also had one mounted on a gantry that had about
16 feet of movement. It could be programmed with respect to any of the
axes (and be switched between any of them). This feature gave it
tremendous versatility, as far as getting into awkward (is that how
that's spelled?) welding positions. Someone has developed a program that
monitors current for torch height control in a plasma-cutter. Perhaps,
that could be modified to allow for a seam-tracking simulation?

RayHex

pondindustrial wrote:

> Ray, thanks for the info...
>
> > weld was straying to close to that side, and would adjust itself
> closer
> > to the other side.
>
> Very impressive and makes good sense, I personally don't have
> detailed knowledge of how mig systems control the arc, it sounds like
> its predominantly via current, and perhaps some combination of
> both??? Initially, I intend to only use open-loop mechanical control
> in terms of tracking the seam, height, etc. In other words, all
> motion control will rely exclusively on the contents of the g-code
> without any feedback. I would like to learn `more' about how the
> commercial machines are controlled and implement ideas as my
> knowledge grows. Do you, or anyone else have any good links where I
> can learn more about automated mig control?
>
> > you have enough jobs to do, just skip trying to CNC it, and GO
> ROBOTIC!
>
> What do mean exactly by "ROBOTIC", robotic arm or?
>
> The machine I envisioned was a long horizontal axis carrying a short
> horizontal axis, which itself may include a third short axis for
> height control.

Discussion Thread

pondindustrial 2004-09-08 08:35:06 UTC CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There? Raymond Heckert 2004-09-08 18:10:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There? Paul 2004-09-08 18:26:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There? pondindustrial 2004-09-09 11:19:26 UTC Re: CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There? Raymond Heckert 2004-09-09 19:17:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There? erie 2004-09-10 10:07:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC Welding, Any Real Experience Out There?