CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DC spindle motor

on 2004-09-24 12:34:29 UTC
Shawn, are you sure you have the motor wired for 220V three phase
(Delta connection)? I use a VFD on my CNC BP with no problems and
plenty of low speed torque but had to convert connection from star
to delta. VFDs have quite a few set up parameters so these would be
worth a check.
Fred

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Shawncd" <shawncd@p...>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I recently picked up an older milltronics cnc mill. This was
someone else's
> half started project. One of the first things that I thought was
strange
> when I purchased this machine was the spindle motor setup. It
looks like it
> originally came with an adjustable sheave pulley system. This
original
> design is no longer there. It has been replaced with a 1:1 twin
pulley set
> up. The original AC motor that came with the mill is a 2.5hp. I
hooked up a
> vf drive to see how it worked and it doesn't work, at least not
very well.
> There is no low end torque what so ever. Has anyone ever done a
similar
> modification? I think a lot of the later model bridgeports are set
up with
> the same type of sheave system. What is the best way to get back
the low
> torque? Use a much larger AC motor and drive? Or maybe go with
a DC motor
> and drive setup? I can pick up a 3/4 horse 1750 DC motor with a
KB regen
> drive for a round $200 surplus. The base speed is the same as the
original
> motor, but I'm not sure how the torque will rate compared to an AC
motor. I
> Know horsepower is horsepower regardless of AC or DC, but the
torque
> acquired from an AC motor at low speeds is nothing compared to DC
motors. My
> goal is to use the features I have with my Ajax cnc control such
as rigid
> tapping and constant surface speed, ect. The spindle head does
have a two
> speed gear change. HI and LO. Even when I shift into low the low
end doesn't
> seem like its all there.
> Any ideas or past experiences would be appreciated
> Thanks
> Shawn

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Shawncd 2004-09-23 21:04:03 UTC DC spindle motor bazer_20002000 2004-09-24 12:34:29 UTC Re: DC spindle motor