CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC's special protection needs for lubrication?

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2004-09-28 12:13:17 UTC
The central oiling systems on most all commercial CNC machines use way
lube and supply it to both the screws and the ways. Two popular
brands would be Mobil Vactra and Shell Tonna. As I recall, the ISO
viscosity grade on both the more normal varieties is 68. Heavier
viscosities are available but not widely used. Most long term owners
of machine tools in general will tell you to stay far far away from
any moly type greases.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Abby Katt" <cnc@a...> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Not to dwell off topic here, but I think this is really relevant.
> Lubrication for CNC. I'm wondering if there are any special
> requirements for lubing my 3/1 mill/drill for CNC. Since I only have
> regular acme screws at the moment, and the motors are going to drive
> it much, much, harder than any human operator ever would, what type
> of lubrication is the best for ensuring that the mill works fast,
> smooth, and the least damage is caused to it by the harsh mechanical
> moves that the CNC system will put onto it.
>
> Molybenum disulphide dry-film?
> Molly grease?
> Or just regular oil?
>
> I'm really scared that I'll find the hard CNC'ing rapid moves and
> sudden reverses will turn the regular oil into grinding paste. :/
>
> Thanks!
> ~Abby

Discussion Thread

Abby Katt 2004-09-28 02:31:21 UTC CNC's special protection needs for lubrication? metlmunchr 2004-09-28 12:13:17 UTC Re: CNC's special protection needs for lubrication?