CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 5 phase motor

on 2004-10-06 09:32:10 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Campbell" <bob@c...>
wrote:
> ROOSHY,
>
> I would stay with the 4 wire bipolar stepper motors. 5 phase may be
OK, but
> it is harder to get 5 phase drivers.

I find 5 phase in the surplus market. It has a very low step angle
so it sounds good.

But, I have not found a simple driver circuit nor low cost drivers.

also, 5 phase motors I see are usually NEMA23 or smaller. Since you
can get decent NEMA23 motors in many places, the added cost of a time
ot create your own circuit, or expense of buying a special driver
that will be useless if the the motor fails, my point of view is that
go with something more common.

For uni-polar or bi-polar motors, there are pleanty of free drive
circuits on the web.

For half and quarter stepping, there are circuits, but more
complicated, and for microstepping, you options are much less.

So, unless you get a deal on e-bay or from an old unit where you can
get the motor AND the driver, uni-polar or bi-polar are MUCH easier.

But, if you do find a 5 phase driver let us know !

Dave

Discussion Thread

mohamed rashwan 2004-10-06 07:11:43 UTC 5 phase motor Robert Campbell 2004-10-06 09:12:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 5 phase motor turbulatordude 2004-10-06 09:32:10 UTC Re: 5 phase motor