CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy CNC

on 2000-05-11 01:38:31 UTC
Walt & Craig Smith wrote:

> IF you are seeing this more then once--I'm sorry-- But I'm new and
> will lear my way around
>
> I currently have both a Sherline 5400 mill and Sherline 4400 lathe.
> These have been converted to CNC by Backtrack CNC. I an trying to do
> milling on Alum paintball gun bodies. this is basicly "engraving"
> using a ball mill. I have tried different feed rates (slow to ultra
> slow) faster speeds, light cuts, different mills, drowning it in
> lube--in short everything I can think of and still get mill marks in
> the cuts (whick will later be anodized and look like shit)
>
> I've decided that the Sherline is just not ridgid enought to get good
> results on this type of work (I can SEE the head delflecting at the
> start of a cut)
>
> At any rate- I'm thinking real hard of getting a Smithy. I've seen
> the machies in person and they loog good to me--of course they weigh
> about 10X as much as the Sherline too. I'm thinking of the Midus
> with
> the CNC conversion. Does anyone have any expericence or coments on
> this? Thanks in advance
>
> Craig

> Double your manufacturer's warranty on all computers,
> home appliances, and electronics AND win up to $500
> towards your purchase!
> List Manager

You will always get cutter marks. You have to hand pollish them out, just like in injection molds
Larry

Discussion Thread

lawrence jackman 2000-05-11 01:38:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy CNC ptengin@a... 2000-05-11 02:27:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy CNC Craig Chamberlin 2000-05-11 02:56:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy CNC taylorma@e... 2000-05-11 05:43:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy CNC Jon Anderson 2000-05-11 06:47:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Smithy CNC