CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Start up shopping list 15"x12"

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2000-05-11 17:51:53 UTC
"James Avey" <jimavey@...>wrote:

> I'm a newbie and have been lurking here for a month or so. I presently use a
> router and jigs to machine plastic (1/8" ABS sheet) parts for my
> incubators. Two dimensions, the largest part is 15" x 12". I don't need huge
> accuracy, just a more consistent quality ( and the idea that I can start a
> part and then do something else is really attractive.)
>
> OK - so how do I get started? Something in a kit form or retro fitting a
> mill is ok. My budget is about $1000.

I'm currently working on a 30"X * 30"Y * 12"Z gantry mill made from
spruce 2x8's 2x6's and 2x4's, two HD filing cabinet slides(X), four med
duty drawer slides (Y), and four HD cabinet slides (Z), using motors
on Acme screws or ball screws.

It should meet your above size, accuracy (5 thou) and cost requirements, and
when I'm done maybe I could make plans and/or kits available if you are
interested (if it works!!). Might be another 2 or 3 months before I'm done
though.

Doug Fortune
pentam@...

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2000-05-11 17:51:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Start up shopping list 15"x12"