CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

The BASIC DIY- CNC questions to ask/answer... A compiler for machine design

Posted by ballendo
on 2004-10-25 00:04:06 UTC
Re-posted from my DIY-CNC group...

Hello everyone, especially the programmers among you...

This post and the last paragraph of my previous reply to it (included
below), gives me an idea.

What if there was available a DIY-CNC "expert system" for designing a
machine?

You'd start with answering the most basic questions, as I've laid out
in the previous reply. Then using those answers, you'd guide the user
of the application towards ever tighter sources for the various
parts...

I can see a good business for somebody with this product. (Guided DIY-
CNC design by answering questions...) Or an industry wide, probably
open-source coalition to do this, since it would bring benefit to
many in the DIY CNC communitiy...

For example, if the spindle being used is a dremel, Geckos might be
overkill. UNLESS the speed being considered makers them again a good
choice.

There could also be "working condition" questions; like a desire for
a certain level/type of noise. This again might make a Gecko a better
choice than a squeal-y halfstep drive; or a Perske spindle instead of
a Porter Cable router...

You could even have sound samples so the user of the application
could HEAR the difference between these largely different cost items.
And speaking of COST...

That's one question I intentionally left out of the DIY-CNC basic
questions I just posted. Because I think you should first see what a
person's desired outcome is, then refine it with cost issues.

So, back to the expert system application; you'd have a running total
of cost for the items currently chosen, and spreadsheet like, you
could plug in different option and see the result on cost, speed,
noise, stiffness, etc. Certainly ANY such program would contain
the "leanings" of its creator.

So let's have multiple creators...

Think of it as an open source DIY-CNC machine design "compiler"...

I can see this thing pretty clearly on my screen--imagined--and can
even see revenue sources from links to mfrs. webpages... All the
NEEDED info would be present for all products that would fit the bill
(means the radio shack 4.50 breakout mentioned WOULD be included
along with Steve's and Bob's and Oliviers, etc... But perhaps an
included "ad" could be mfr supported?) I'm pretty sensitive to these
kinds of "advertorials", as anybody who's seen my posts over the
years knows. But I think as long as the AD is immediately OBVIOUS AS
AN AD, then it could work, and serve to get more support behind the
idea...

Like a compiler, you could have switches to "compile" for least cost,
or most performance... (and other chosen design tradeoffs, like
overall size vs. max travel size for footprint; ie. moving table vs.
gantry)

Like a compiler there would be "warnings" given along with the
selections. For example, a note that the 4 buck breakout may not
support laptop p-ports, due to voltage considerations. You could
ignore these warnings, ar use the "suggest alternatives" button,
which would place you back into the matrix of the particular item
you're considering.

Machine type, bearings, Drives, motors, breakouts, CNC control
program, power supply, etc. would be typical matrix headings...

I think it would be a wonderful support tool for ALL of our industry.

Comments invited,

Ballendo

--- In DIY-CNC@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Golash" <golash@y...> wrote:

> Hi
> I`m starting to get the electronics together for my
> 3 axis cnc wood router. I found this site. The price
> is very low. I`m not a expert in the world of electronics
> is this a viable product at good price
>
> Thanks Barry
>
> http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brk15.php

Here's the original reply...

--- In DIY-CNC@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@y...> wrote:

> Barry,
>
> You've gotten some good replies from some of the respected "CNC
> directed" breakout reps... (Remember that breakout boards are made
> for, and used by, folks who have nothing to do with CNC...
>
> What I'd need to know to make a suggestion is a bit more about your
> intended machine...
>
> What size is it?
> How fast will it go?
> What type of spindle/cutter will you be using?
> What materials will you cut?
>
> Steppers or servos?
> Whose drives or drive circuit(s) do you intend to use?
>
> What kind of computer will you connect to the machine (how
> fast,dos,windows, etc)?
>
> Which motor control program do you plan to use?
>
> IMO, only after these questions are answered can you make a GOOD
> decision about which breakout board--if any--to use...
>
> BTW, If you don't know that answers to all of these, just fill in
the
> answers that you do. Most of these things are inter-related
anyways,
> so DECIDING on one thing often determines the path to the answer
for
> another of these basic DIY-CNC questions..
>
> Ballendo

Discussion Thread

ballendo 2004-10-25 00:04:06 UTC The BASIC DIY- CNC questions to ask/answer... A compiler for machine design