CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gantry Drive Topology

Posted by Tyson S.
on 2004-11-07 11:27:57 UTC
My parents own a picture framing shop and they purchased a CNC mat
cutter a few years ago. http://www.wizardint.com/matcutter.asp the
design was a real eye opener! Although it would never work for any type
of spindle work, or torch work, but the gantry has about 3'X6' of
movement and what would be the Z is actually a rotating knife blade.
The frame is extruded aluminum and the drive system is a white colored
toothed belt that runs inside of the T-slots of the frame, But the neat
thing is that the linear guide system is made up of these little
plastic poly wheels that where designed to roll along the T-slot notch
of the aluminum frame. extremely simple design.

--- Les Newell <lesnewell@...> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I used HTD belt on my machine and it works very well. HTD belt has
> very
> low backlash and is tolerant to the abrasive dust that plasma cutting
>
> generates. I used one belt on each axis but if I was doing it again I
>
> would use one either side of the gantry.
>
> Les
>
> John wrote:

=====
Check out my APRS digipeater: