CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD for vert mill ?

Professor wrote:

>Hi All,
>Has anyone used a VFD as a voltage source for a CNC vert. Mill???
>Will I be able to use one to operate a CNC Vert. Mill?
>I MIGHT be able to purchase a Bridgeport V2XT CNC at a reasonable price!
>
>I have a Toshiba VFD that has an output of 440V 3 phase.
>It is bing converted from a 220V single phase house curret source.
>I am currently using it on a Bridgeport Vert. Mill 3phase 440V
>and lathe 3phase 440V at my home!

No, this will not work. If you attempt it, it will most likely destroy both
the VFD and the CNC control. A VFD produces a chopped waveform
from a 400 or 800 V DC supply. When fed to a motor, the motor's
inductance allows the motor to draw a current waveform that closely
approximates what it would draw from a standard 3-phase line.
But, you can't run any other equipment, such as 3-phase power supplies
for CNC controls from this waveform.

Professor 2004-11-24 12:04:15 UTC VFD for vert mill ? Jon Elson 2004-11-24 21:48:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD for vert mill ?