CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformer suggestions.

Posted by john labutski
on 2004-12-18 15:42:13 UTC
Yes you are correct, it is about 1 horsepower. Besides the steppers, I
would also like to power the spindle on a 7x10 lathe using a Seig x3 motor
with a homebrew dc controller using pulses from the spindle for maintaining
constant rpm. This will be a multiple use item for my hobby stuff. My call
sign is Californian. I moved to Ocala Florida last December and decided not
to change it. BTW I have ordered from MPJA before. Those guys deliver like
a shot. I have placed orders at 4:00 PM and got them the next morning via
UPS ground.

73's
John kd6wd
----- Original Message -----
From: <JanRwl@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformer suggestions.

In a message dated about 12/18/2004, John Labutski writes:

I need a source to purchase a tranformer for a linear power supply. I
would like about 50 to 65 volts and 12 amps for a stepper power supply
supply.
Also I need a source for filter caps of the appropriate size and voltage
rating.<<
John: First, that's 600-780 watts. Even for three-axis, those would
unusually LARGE stepper motors! For bipolar-CHOPPER drives, it is amazing
how
LITTLE current you actually need! For example, one typical KML
(=high-torque)
Size 34 stepper, two-stack, is typically about 20 watts. One such motor
might
draw 7 amps total, at 3 VDC. So a 60 V. supply would need to supply only
about 650 mA. Now, if your drives and steppers are old fashioned UNIpolar,
you
may-well need 12 amps to heat up the room in which the ballast-resistors
are
bolted.

While your call seems to indicate you are in CA, your NAME (?) says FL. If
you ARE in FL, the Marlin P. Jones firm (_www.mpja.com_
(http://www.mpja.com)
) in Lake Park has all KINDSA such stuff. If you are in CA, then JDR or
Jameco or "most of greater-LA" would surely have lotsa things like you
need!
Capacitor for a 12 amp supply? A 25,000 to 40,000 µF 100 WVDC would be OK
for a
motor-supply. If you use bipolar high-torque motors and Gecko drivers,
probably 5000 µF would do!

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.