CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Capabilities of SPC (digital output) from indicators?

Posted by R Rogers
on 2004-12-20 11:05:22 UTC
"John P. Flanigan [Software Technology Initiative, Inc.]" <JFlanigan@...> wrote:

Thank you Ron. You have given substance (and confidence) to my vague
notions about how to proceed. I was thinking of using an angle plate
clamped to the table.

///Any good vertical surface.

On further thought, isn't the test I described actually a backlash test and
not a repeatability test?

////Not really, If I understood the question correctly. Moving in lets say X+ then take a reading then moving in X- then reversing back to X+ and reading the dial indicator once again is actually irrelevant. A machine that failed this test would have debris on the leadscrew or something is loose (the very reason 3-jaw scroll chucks should be disassembled and cleaned frequently as they are trash collectors and a chip on the scroll can result in one jaw progressing sooner than the others). One is returning to the same position with all the same factors that resulted in the first reading. Most machines will perform this test quite well under a no-load situation. Whats more important is the amount of backlash present which will display errors in motion related to arcs or anytime a + and - direction is performed in one operation. A test equally important is the third test referred to and that is accuracy over distance. Which would effect overall dimensions i.e. dowell to dowell alignment
in work pieces. A few thous difference could result in parts that will not assemble. /////

I hadn't thought of the jog test you mentioned as
a test for positioning accuracy. I guess this test would require an
indicator with a decent range.

////.001" resolution and .100" range is sufficient.

Regards,
John