CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Achieving flatness on a large gantry table

on 2004-12-21 14:33:44 UTC
would you not want to machine that table after assembly? It would be
no different than using a planer mill to resurface its table.

Now if this ie an aluminum extrusion table the smart thing would be to
install an expendable sheet on top of the table and mil that flat. do
be careful about wood bearing material as just about all of these
materials will change dimensions to some degree with humidity.

By the way what is mic6? And why couln't you T-slot it. Even is
you implement a very thick aluminm sheet you still have the ability to
machine it to your needs. You may not want to T-Slot it instead you
might want to install threaded insterts but the ability to form it to
your needs is yours.

Dave

kdoney_63021 wrote:

>I just checked my table for flatness and was appalled. Max .025"
>error over a foot at certain points. The gantry itself is within
>reasonable tolerance. I have THK slides, machined extrusions and ball
>screws. I checked it every step of the way and it looked great; until
>mounting the table. This is a moving table design from Bob Campbell's
>plans (a nice system). I first used standard extrusions clamped
>together, I then went to slat wall, then tried to wedge together
>machined t-slotted 6061 (not mic6). The errors occurred ar the flat
>joins. With over 30 square feet, you certainly can't buy mic6. Even
>if I could, I couldn't t-slot it. What would you suggest? I guess I
>just expected too much. This system is good for plasma or router but
>you certainly can't machine on it.

Discussion Thread

kdoney_63021 2004-12-21 13:11:37 UTC Achieving flatness on a large gantry table David A. Frantz 2004-12-21 14:33:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Achieving flatness on a large gantry table Robert Lyman 2004-12-21 15:08:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Achieving flatness on a large gantry table Robert Campbell 2004-12-21 16:35:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Achieving flatness on a large gantry table turbulatordude 2004-12-21 17:09:27 UTC Re: Achieving flatness on a large gantry table Jon Elson 2004-12-21 19:13:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Achieving flatness on a large gantry table