CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SloSyn motor driver

Patrick Huss wrote:

> I recently got a few slosyn 440 epi10 "indexer" motor drivers at an
> auction.
> I have found little on the web about these, although I was able to
> download
> the driver software from warner electric. Does anyone here have any
> experience with these? They seem like they would work well for driving
>
> steppers from emc -they each have a parallel port input, the software
> uses
> rs274, etc. I have a lot to learn as far as the electronics of a
> stepper
> system is concerned and I am cautious about the usefulness of these
> drivers
> mostly because of "indexer" .
> What is the difference between an indexer motor and a stepper motor?

Nothing. The box is what makes the difference. In the old days, the
indexer was a separate
box from the stepper driver. Later, they became integrated. A stepper
driver just takes step
and direction pulses, and maybe some other signals like low power and
power off.
An old indexer usually has a bunch of dip or rotary switches that set
how many steps
it is supposed to go when triggered. You would set the switches to some
value, and when
ever a switch contact was closed, the indexer would count out that many
pulses, usually with
some speed ramp up and down. Your units might also do step and
direction.

Steve Carlisle 2000-05-21 09:59:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SloSyn motor driver Jon Elson 2000-05-21 22:06:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SloSyn motor driver