CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Curious why no geared head mill conversions

William Carrothers wrote:

>I picked up one of the Harbor freight Geared head milling machines (basicly the other choice if you didn't want the belt driven one) Of course this mill has been rebadged by Grizzly and the like. But I"m curious if anyone has done a CNC conversion on one or rather why no one has? Wondering if there is some down side to this particular mill vs the other belt ones of similar size other then price of course as the geared head ones are a little more $$ And wondering if perhaps the max spindle speed of 1500rpm is a reason?

I have a client in town that has one. It is supposed to be 850 Lbs, and
has a box-way on the column.
(Or, maybe it is dovetail.) I think the top speed on his is 1250 RPM.
Milling aluminum with 1/4"
and 1/8" end mills is pretty slow on that thing.

He has a CNC conversion that seems to work. The Z-axis setup, however,
is a nightmare, and
needs to be redone. Probably the best way is to lock the quill and move
the head with a ballscrew.

I find that 2720 RPM on my Bridgeport is too slow, too!

William Carrothers 2005-02-08 07:55:07 UTC Curious why no geared head mill conversions Jon Elson 2005-02-08 10:35:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Curious why no geared head mill conversions William Carrothers 2005-02-08 11:06:45 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Curious why no geared head mill conversions