CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Tree Mill Journeyman 300

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2005-02-10 10:34:37 UTC
When I cleaned up my $750 Tree mill Journeyman 300 I was concerned that it
may have quite a bit of wear since it came out of one of GE production
plants. It probably had at least 35,000 hours on it. But when I checked the
ways I found .001 wear on the home side of the X axis and surprisingly only
.0002 on the Y ways. But that is a very arrangement which is why I bought
the Tree mill in the first place.
My Tree mill uses a bijur lube system for the XY axis. The quill and spindle
use a gear driven pump which makes sure the quill and the spindle gets
properly lube.
Last I jury rigged three Gecko G320's and set up using 3 80VDc 20A power
supplies in parallel to run the 3/4HP 130VDC servo motors. Using Mach2 I can
get 96 IPM out of the XYZ axis and probably more after I tune it.
I made my first cut with this temporary set up and was impressed with the
rigidity of the machine and how nice it ran. really nice to have a 5 HP
spindle motor.
I still plan to use the CNC Teknix 200V 40A continuous servo amps but I am
having a problem with the PID filter. The program for the I and D needs to
be adjusted as I can't get the speed out of the servo amps without them
faulting. I also have to use the 12 bit error amp setup in stead of the 8
bit which I prefer. The guys at CNCTEKNIX are going to email me a revised
file so I can reprogram the Cypress PSOC chip. In the meantime the Geckos
will do just fine.
Dan
Camtronics Inc