CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: good stepper driver

on 2005-02-11 18:24:33 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <ach_ibo@l...> wrote:

> i saw this online, i want to use this (or actually something similar
> to this) as my interface for my CNC machine. (check out the
schematic
> for more info.)
> http://www.acscontrol.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACS&Product_Code=ACS-MOTION-LPT-INTF

> I also have a little more info on my steppers, and since i am new to
> steppers, i'm not sure about them. please tell me if they are good
> enough for a CNC machine:
>
> -- 1 large 8V 1.8 degrees/step 10 ohm phase 6 wire motor
>
> -- 1 medium-sized 16V 7.5 degree/step 65 ohm 6 wire (with 2 red
wires)

> -- 1 small-sized 7.5V 7.5 degrees/step 29 ohm 6 wires (2 red
wires )

> -- 1 medium-sized 4.5-5V 7.5 degrees/step 5 ohm 4 wires
>

> I was thinking of using the small motor for the Z axis. I realize
the
> different voltages are going to be an annoyance, i am hoping that i
> can use 8 volts for the 7.5 volt motor, and 12 volts for the 16 volt
> motor. I plan on using an old computer power supply (like 200
> watts.)and some 8 volt voltage regulators. I could not find any
other
> info on these motors, i searched for info on all of them on the net.
>
> Please tell me if i am heading in the right direction with this
stuff.

> Thanx,
> Adam

Hi Adam,

Read the white paper at Geckodrive.com about power supplies. it also
goes over some of the details on motor voltages.

Another good read is Jones on steppers. that can be found via google.

The interface board is simple, but seems to be linked to the
drivers. 3 for $34 each for the cheap ones, or $99 for the expensive
ones.

There are better deals around.

HobbyCNC and Xylotex both offer microstepping.

Actually, the $34 is marked down to half price. at less than $20, it
is still not a great deal (HobbyCNC is only slightly more $$) but the
very small motors don't need much for a driver.

For a small plotter or maybe a PCB drilling machine, the motors would
probably work fine.

Dave

Discussion Thread

adam 2005-02-11 16:11:30 UTC good stepper driver turbulatordude 2005-02-11 18:24:33 UTC Re: good stepper driver adam 2005-02-11 20:29:30 UTC Re: good stepper driver