CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Ok to have dif. volt. rating for my 3 powersupplies for Geckos on BP????

Posted by cnc_4_me
on 2005-02-13 20:45:56 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mueller"
<mueller914@y...> wrote:

> I was able to salvage 2 transformers and a few rectifiers from my
Boss 3 cabinets on for my Bridgeport NC machine...for the new
powersupplies I made from the old parts, one is 57vdc and the other
one it 80vdc
> (both wired for 120ac with 1 hot and 1 neutral for the input)
>

> I bought another power supply from Dan @ Camtronics, rated for
80vdc if run with 220vac......

> I am going to use the original Sigma steppers and Gecko 201's....

If you already have them i hope they are the updated 201's that have
the special nema 42 jumper.

> Will I be okay to run the machine with different voltage/amperage
rating for the powersupplies? Any gotchas??

I have no idea what you mean by this...Are you trying to connect 2
power supplys together??

> The caps. from the Boss are only 75vdc, can I run a couple in
parallel or series to cope with the 80vdc since I am near the limits
of the Gecko rating?? (for decel)

that is really looking for trouble, no safty margin at all, i would
not do it. It isn't safe.

Caps in series will double the voltage rating and half the uF
rating...In theroy...Actual practice is different, caps do not divide
evenly you need to add a resistor dividor network to help it along.
In this case it depends on what uF you have and how skilled you are
at wiring...

> thanks,
>
> Mike

Wally

Discussion Thread

Mike Mueller 2005-02-13 19:52:15 UTC Ok to have dif. volt. rating for my 3 powersupplies for Geckos on BP???? cnc_4_me 2005-02-13 20:45:56 UTC Re: Ok to have dif. volt. rating for my 3 powersupplies for Geckos on BP???? Mike Mueller 2005-02-13 21:34:59 UTC Re: Ok to have dif. volt. rating for my 3 powersupplies for Geckos on BP???? cnc_4_me 2005-02-13 22:14:48 UTC Re: Ok to have dif. volt. rating for my 3 powersupplies for Geckos on BP????