CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Weird VFD behavior - the THUNK?

Posted by washcomp
on 2005-02-15 22:05:46 UTC
Ron:

While the power around here is generally pretty clean, that's why I
put the Corcom line filter on. It is a brand new commercial grade
EMI filter and I figured it would eliminate the need to worry about
stuff like this. I figure it's the right one, but maybe someone
would like to take a shot at interpeting the specs. (I'm using this
at 208 volts AC, 3 phase)?

Jeff

Specifications:

The AYO Series filters are designed for 3-Phase, four wire, WYE
applications providing filtering in each of the three lines plus
neutral.
These lower current RFI filters provide filtering to industrial 3-
Phase applications.

Maximum leakage current, each
line-to-ground 20A:

@ 120 VAC 60 Hz: 3.5mA
@ 250 VAC 50 Hz: 5.5mA

Hipot rating (one minute):
line-to-ground 1500 VAC
line-to-line 1450 VDC

Operating frequency: 50/60 Hz

Rated voltage:
phase-to-phase 440 VAC
phase-to-neutral 250 VAC

Rated current: @ 120 VAC: 20A
@ 250 VAC: 20A

Operating Ambient Temperature: -10°C to +40°C @ rated current Ir

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
wrote:
> My transformer for my control was doing that one day and it turned
out to be line spikes from the utility company. It had to have been
because it hasnt done it since. It fried the the big cap in one of
the Geckos which I replaced for $2 and it works fine again. The
machine was at idle when it happened. Same as your saying, about
every 15 minutes or so..boomp! I didnt have the 100v 1000uf caps at
each drive to protect. I do now.

> Ron
>
> washcomp <jeff@w...> wrote:
>

> I've just finished wiring up a 3HP variable frequency drive
> (Omron/Yaskawa G5+) to my 1.5 HP Bridgeport. Feed to VFD is 3 phase.
>
> I go from the line to a Corcom line filter to a line reactor to a
> wrap around a ferrite core (one wrap) to the VFD to a load reactor
> the BP. There is a braking resistor (ferrite core on brake wires).
>
> Motor is not running in this case (no load condition)
>
> Problem:
>
> Every 15 minutes or so, a sound like a gunshot comes out of the
> setup. No smoke, no sparks, LED's on VFD do not even blink - seems
> like no harm is being done. This sounds like hitting a garbage can
> cover with a baseball bat (or like a VERY large contactor thunking
> in).
>
> Since it happens so intermittantly, I haven't been able to pin down
> what item is making the noise, but it's scary as hell.
>
> Maybe the line ferrite core should come before the reactor? Could
it
> be that it's becoming magnitized and thumping against the metal
> housing? I'm really confused ;-o
>
> Anyone have a clue?
>
> Jeff

timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

washcomp 2005-02-15 08:05:29 UTC Weird VFD behavior - the THUNK? R Rogers 2005-02-15 09:08:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Weird VFD behavior - the THUNK? John Delaney 2005-02-15 22:05:37 UTC Re: Weird VFD behavior - the THUNK? washcomp 2005-02-15 22:05:46 UTC Re: Weird VFD behavior - the THUNK? washcomp 2005-02-16 04:05:12 UTC Re: Weird VFD behavior - the THUNK?