CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rutex R2000 new product! Comments please.

Posted by m0nkey0ne
on 2005-02-17 09:08:03 UTC
Steve
Good explaination. Thanks for the rundown and the response to his
question. It helped me out, also.
Randy

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Wille Padnos
<spadnos@s...> wrote:
> [...]
what
> >does this do? Also it 'appears' to have a pulse generator (up to
7
> >axis!?) on board, ie. "...theoretical speed up to 80Mpps." A
> >realtime 32bit DRO etc... Says to be available Jan 2005, which is
> >well passed, but there is no mention of price.
> >
> > Does anybody well versed in electrical/CNC jargon care to
comment
> >on this products specs/features and it's possible significance to
the
> >hobby/low cost cnc market? It appears to have the potential to be
> >hot item, but I don't understand alot of it, and who knows how
much
> >it will cost.
> >

> Well - SPI is meant for communication between chips on a board. It
uses
> 3 wires: data in, data out, and clock. You generally also need a
chip
> enable line, especially if you have multiple devices connected. A
> number of microcontrollers also use SPI (or something similar) for
> programming.
>
> Using SPI to send rate commands, instead of using step pulses,
makes a
> lot of sense. Many chips can run the SPI Bus at 20 Mbits/second,
so you
> can get a lot of information back and forth. Since there's a
> microcontroller on board, there is no reason to use an external
timing
> source - any microcontroller is 100 times better at generating
accurate
> timing than any PC today. (I have made devices with 1 MHz
> microcontrollers that have 1 microsecond jitter on interrupt
response,
> something that's nearly impossible on a 3GHz PC)
>
> The "7 axis" spec looks like if comes from the 7 sockets on their
> carrier board. If they just send out 7 SPI commands at a time (in
> parallel), it takes no longer to speed on 7 axes than it takes on
one.
> If they send commands in series, it can still take only 20-40
> microseconds to send out the full set of velocity commands.
>
> The 80Mpps spec has me a bit confused. I see a PIC microcontroller
and
> a 10MHz crystal on one board (it looks like 11MHz on some of the
other
> boards). A PIC divides the external clock by 4, so you get an
internal
> cycle rate of 2.5MHz. No peripheral on a PIC can run faster than
the
> external clock reference, so there's no part of that chip that can
go 80
> MHz, and there's no PIC faster than 48MHz. Some of the boards
have
> other chips I can't identify, so they may be capable of 80Mpps
operation.

> The "Built-In real Time DRO" is just a counter. With bi-
directional
> communication, it's possible to get position feedback from the
drive.

> I have no idea how much it will cost :)
> - Steve

Discussion Thread

Lance Hopper 2005-02-16 13:57:25 UTC Rutex R2000 new product! Comments please. Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-02-17 08:42:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rutex R2000 new product! Comments please. m0nkey0ne 2005-02-17 09:08:03 UTC Re: Rutex R2000 new product! Comments please. Polaraligned 2005-02-17 12:48:35 UTC Re: Rutex R2000 new product! Comments please.