CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM/ g code interpreter... HSM oriented

Posted by braidmeister
on 2005-02-17 19:23:26 UTC
Joa,
Your look-ahead capability & accel and decel ramping are going to be
features that you look for in a controller, not a CAM package. Mach2
is what I would recommend for a controller with these features.

As far as high-speed machining for 3D profiling...well that isn't
really dependent upon the CAM package either. What you really want to
focus on is chipload. This will determine how fast you can move the
tool and what RPM you will cut the aluminum at. There are chipload
calculators on the net at several places. Without getting too
scientific, the general idea is this ~ You want to be throwing off
the largest chips you can while producing a clean cut with no
chatter. The larger the chip (higher the chipload) the more heat is
carried away from the cutter. This is what you want.

Additionally, your speed will also be limited by how quickly your CNC
can move with enough cutting force to carry the chipload. If you are
running steppers, this is very important because steppers can lose
steps and position if accel/decel ramping is not smooth enough or
chipload is too high. When the stepper cannot hold position, it loses
steps...and your part will be ruined. If running servos, the encoder
tells the controller (servo driver) that it is running behind or
ahead of where it is supposed to be, and corrects the position.

So...just about any CAM program that generates G-code is on par with
any other for the most part ~ the only exceptions being additional
toolpath strategies, which are independent of ramping etc.

Hope that helps...sorry so long-winded!
-Brady

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "flyasuperseven"
<flyasuperseven@y...> wrote:

> Along these same lines... of the more affordable CAM packages which
> of them focus on high speed machining for 3d profiling? What
> is "essential" for HSM? I'm assuming accel/decel control, look-
> forward ability, etc.? What else to look for? I would like to run
> smaller cutters (3/16" and 1/4" single flute for aluminum only) at
> high rpm and high feeds (around 150-200ipm) with thinner cuts
(1/2D).

> Appreciate it folks.
>
> Joa
>

> > I am in the process of selecting a CAM package as well as a g
code
> > interpreter for a CNC bench top milling machine.

Discussion Thread

ryan_kittredge 2005-02-17 12:09:16 UTC CAM/ g code interpreter Fred Smith 2005-02-17 12:35:07 UTC Re: CAM/ g code interpreter flyasuperseven 2005-02-17 19:07:49 UTC Re: CAM/ g code interpreter... HSM oriented braidmeister 2005-02-17 19:23:26 UTC Re: CAM/ g code interpreter... HSM oriented