CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:MX3 Problem

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-06-04 04:50:15 UTC
> Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 02:45:32 EDT
> From: scott3d3@...
>Subject: Re: MX3 problem (Jon)
>
>As for question 1 about changing parameters,
>reprogram the hard drive, motherboard, or what ever else is in there to do
>what I want. But that's a little out of my field.
>As for the way the programs look here is a standard Bobcad program milling a
>180 degree arc in YZ plane. this program will work on any mill by changing
>the first couple lines for mill readability.
>
>G00X0.225Y1.728Z0.018
>G01X0.225Y1.728Z-0.032F10
>X0.225Y1.731Z-0.053
>X0.225Y1.741Z-0.072

Change your Bobcad settings so that the coordinates are not modal. For 3D/3 axis machiningYou may need to send a Z value on each line( probably an X and a Y also).

Try This:

Menu selection from the Bobcad NC-Cam side : SETUP
Check Coordinate Values: Non-Modal, rather than Modal.

As far as the Files, just make sure that thy have the correct extension and the controller will recognize them as G-code, rather than MX3 conversational junk.

The serial port communications Rs-232 should not be a problem at all.

1) Make sure that you purchase a "Null-modem" cable or adaptor. Nearly ALL machines made within the last 5-10 years conform to this wiring. Older ones are sometimes different, but still mostly will work
2) You will probably need to use Xon/Xoff, but there may be some configurations that can be done from the mill
3) You will probably need a % (percent) sign at the beginning of the program. This is the traditional symbol on NC punched tape, which was used to tell the old tape reader that the following data would be G-code, or at least character data. This may not be required, but it is still very prevalent in almost all commercial controllers.
4) Send from your machine to your computer FIRST. Set Bobcad to receive a file, it will wait while you move to the mill and send out the file. If the communications wire is hooked up, you will probably at least get garbage in the Bobcad editor. If you do, you may have a mis-matched baud/parity/stepbits, etc between Bobcad and the Controller.
5) More than likely, you will not be able to DNC, or feed extremely large files directly to the controller in a live operational mode. You should not need to do this as a hard disk indicates that there is ample room for most programs that you would want to run on that machine. Once you have proved out the download from MX-3 to Bobcad, you should have no problem with the upload. Using the wire will allow you to transfer programs that are larger than the 1.44 limit on a floppy disk.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at: http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2000-06-04 04:50:15 UTC Re:MX3 Problem