CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cnc lathe - threading - alternitivemethod?????

on 2005-03-12 16:18:00 UTC
Hi

john, I agree you can cut theads with single pulse however you are very limited with respect to feed and tool load. Therefore cycle times are extended greatly due to only being able to take small cuts. This may not matter for a hobbyist, however for a job shop this is not acceptable.

Bob, to elaborate....the control system monitors the spindle speed and adjusts the cut feed to maintain lead. We control feed as this can always be controlled to higher precision than the spindle. Generally a spindle is controlled with an 8 or 10 bit dac control signal driving an inverter. Theredoer at best we have 1024 control inputs. Any motion controller worth its salt will have a minimum of 65000:1 velocity control range. By mearsueing the spindle speed to a high precision we can make fine adjustments to cut speed therefore we are able to cut with heavy tool load.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: "John Guenther" <j.guenther@...>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:17:54
To:<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cnc lathe - threading - alternitive
method?????

TurboCNC uses a single pulse per rev for threading on a lathe. Mach2 or
Mach3 uses either a single pulse per rev or a single index pulse and
multiple pulses to sync the spindle speed. I have used Mach3 with a single
pulse per rev sensor to cut threads and it works great. This is not really
as complicated as everyone thinks it should be. It only really takes a
single pulse per rev to cut accurate threads on a CNC lathe. IMHO you
should get single pulse per rev threading working first and then determine
if there is any benefit to multiple pulse per rev setups. I believe that
Mach3 is limited to 24 pulses per rev maximum.

John Guenther
'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
Sterling, Virginia