CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:OT Live Center-WAS lapping-was-Digest Nu mber 4217

Posted by Andy Wander
on 2005-03-23 08:39:23 UTC
What's incorrect about the term "live center" for a ball-bearing center in a
tailstock? I understand Live Center to mean one that revolves with the
work.

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: turbulatordude [mailto:dave_mucha@...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:53 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Digest Number 4217

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@a...>
wrote:
> Lapping, by putting a compound between the sliding parts and moving
them
> back and forth is nothing less that accelerating the wear on the
> machine. You improve nothing, you just wear it out, exactly as is
going
> to happen over its life.
>
> Lapping (or scraping) the parts with respect to some master surface
> known to be flat and true could make an improvement.
>
> Why do people continue to refer to using lapping compound to
accelerate
> the wear as lapping?
>
> ron ginger

Op's sorry, didn't totally understand your question.

Most of us who have done any lapping to get parts to fit use both
parts.

Also, it is my understanding, and I may be wrong, that lapping is the
term of the process and does not define what parts are used, but just
that some grit or compound is used between surfaces.

I use the term because some years ago when first introduced to the
concept and proceedure, that was what was used. If you have a better
term, I would be very happy to use that instead. Machinery's
handbook did not offer a defination, only a proceedure.

Dave

ps: People who call a ball bearing center in a tailstock a live
center is my favorite incorrect use of words.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.