CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LINUX EMC feature set

Dave Shiels wrote:

>I have been doing a bit of research about using EMC on a mini-mill,
>mini-lathe and routertable installations.

Well, the big problem with EMC is that, so far, there is no lathe threading
support. This is being actively worked on, but it is a very complicated
change to the whole concept of EMC, and therefore is not easy to
implement.

>Any one have any feedback on using EMC to operate the above hardware. I
>do have plenty of computing
>power with AMD based XP3200, with 4X AGP and 256 meg ram.

I don't know for sure if EMC will work well on these processors. Some
versions
definitely had problems with non-Intel CPUs. I know that some of the recent
versions will install and run on non-Intel CPUs, but I can't vouch for the
Universal PWM controller or Universal Stepper controller working with those
motherboards. This has been a problem, as some motherboards don't properly
support the IEEE-1284 protocol.

>I am still torn between pico servo system and a stepper controller.

Well, I'm a servo snob, and have no qualms admitting it! They are a bit
more
complex, but with the true closed-loop operation of my servo system, you
really
KNOW where the machine is. Being able to graph servo performance while
setting
the system up gives a great deal of confidence that you know what the
following
error is under the worst case conditions.

Dave Shiels 2005-04-03 11:13:10 UTC LINUX EMC feature set Jon Elson 2005-04-03 15:37:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LINUX EMC feature set