CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Arcsin 3 axis

Posted by apaulsalerno
on 2005-04-14 23:50:45 UTC
From a beginers point of view, not knowing what to do and not
wanting to waste a bunch of money, but with a burning itch to see
some stuff moving around, I cant say enough about Rigottis HobbyCNC
package with the 200in/oz steppers @ less than 300.00 for a complete
3 axis package (minus power supply and case, another 75.00). I dont
know squat, but I got the kit and used it to move my mini mill
conversion and it has really worked out well for me. Sure if you
can afford it go with the geckos out a the gate, but if you just
want something to get started with its a great little start, and
something that can really do some work as well, providing you can
live with steppers. By putting it all together from scratch (not a
big deal) I really learned a bunch and had fun also.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@y...> wrote:

> > The only thing I see about the unit is that the cost is
relatively
> high
> > compared to the Xylotex (2.5A @ 35V 3 Axis = $145.00) and three
> Gecko's
>

> The A3977 chip is maxed out at 35 volts and is unstable at that
> voltage. Back EMF will blow the chip if run from a 35V supply.
>
> As I undrstand they are very stable with a 24 volt supply.
>
> As I see the contenders
>
> Xylotex 24V @ 2.5 amp
> HobbyCNC 44volts @ 3 amp
> ArcSin 48V @ 3A
> Gecko is 80V @ 7amp
>
> the Gecko is really made of components that are rated for
> 10amp/100volt. As a device, it is rated by the manufacturer for
80
> volts and 7 amps. (20% less volts, 30% less amps) and at that
7A/80V
> use, it is a brick.
>
> If you de-rate the A3977 chip from the 2.5A/35V in the same manner
> 1.75A and 28 volts, it too should be rock solid.
>
> I don't know the HobbyCNC or ArcSin components well enough to know
> they are rated for the max of the parts or de-rated for the
> application.
>
> Also, the HobbyCNC and ARCSIN as well as the Xylotex have parallel
> ports on board whereas the Geckos do not. That means the $114
each
> for the geckos is not a full system but add between $25 and $150
for
> a parallel port breakout board to get a comparative Gecko price.
>
> ($114 x 3 + $25 = $367 for a 3 axis Gecko)
>
> The ArcSin is right between the Xylotex and Gecko.
>
> the ArcSin is Fully Assembled whereas the HobbyCNC is a kit. Add
for
> your time to get a better comparison of those two.
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

Dave Shiels 2005-04-14 14:00:06 UTC Arcsin 3 axis caudlet 2005-04-14 17:29:19 UTC Re: Arcsin 3 axis Dave Shiels 2005-04-14 18:01:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Arcsin 3 axis turbulatordude 2005-04-14 18:13:42 UTC Re: Arcsin 3 axis apaulsalerno 2005-04-14 23:50:45 UTC Re: Arcsin 3 axis ballendo 2005-04-15 05:39:11 UTC A3977 based boards and MAX ratings was Re: Arcsin 3 axis Codesuidae 2005-04-15 08:19:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Arcsin 3 axis