CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gecko power surge at shutdown

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2005-04-18 06:35:31 UTC
Glen,

I do not have any experience with servos, but have burned at least 5
Gecko drives due to, I think, having a solid state relay which turned
on and off the DC side of my powersupply to the Geckos and the
motors. You might check this possibility. Once I switched to the AC
side, I no longer got the "jump" of the motors that I had been
experiencing when I turned on the system probably due to spikes
produced. I am thinking that the movement you are getting could be a
similar problem of improper switching of your power. However, I am a
rank beginner in this electronics stuff.

Keith

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Doug Fortune <pentam@c...>
wrote:

> Glen wrote:
> >I'm running a couple of servos ( not connected to the lathe
yet ), and
> >I noticed the servo running through a Gecko 320 buzzes a fair bit
when
> >not moving but the main concern I have is that when I switch off
the
> >controller, the servo spins for a second as if a capacitor is
> >discharging or something. It doesn't make any difference which
servo I
> >use. This would move the Z axis on the lathe about 2" in a random
> >direction. Has anyone had this problem ?
>
> That seems odd and is unacceptable.
>
> Possibly the power to the encoders goes away 1 second too quickly,
> causing a runaway servo?
>
> Maybe power the 5V-to-encoder lines independently (or a big
capacitor )
> just to test the theory?
>
> cheers
> Doug Fortune

> .

Discussion Thread

roboticscnc 2005-04-16 22:35:32 UTC Gecko power surge at shutdown and reduction ratios Doug Fortune 2005-04-17 09:06:45 UTC Re: Gecko power surge at shutdown Keith Clark 2005-04-18 06:35:31 UTC Re: Gecko power surge at shutdown