CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: how important is backlash in a simple home setup ??

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2005-04-18 12:14:02 UTC
Johan,

I am not sure if it will work well, but I plan to do the same thing
you have done only I plan to use a second simple nut to set up a
system similar to that sold to eliminate backlash. The idea is to
turn one nut against the left side of the threads and fix it in place
then and the second nut that can be adjusted against the right side
of the threads and fixed. That way you can remove the backlash. If
you look at the website of companies that supply them you can see how
their systems work.

Unfortunately I can't find the site this minute but could search for
it later. One could fabricate such a system with minimum of expense
provided the equipment is available for the fabrication, most
importantly a mill.

Keith

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <wykj@m...> wrote:

> Hello again everyone, I'd like to know what sort of backlash can be
> tolerated without serious mishaps ?? I'm finalising the drivers for
> cnc router I built, now before I spend too much cash I'd like to
get
> an honest opinion on how much backlash can I tolerate if fir
instance
> I'd like to do small plaque engraving, PCB drilling etc.
>
> I didn't have access to any expensive anti-backlash nuts etc.(main
> objective is to do it as cheaply as possible, if I like the hobby
I'd
> spend more bucks)......... so I just used a single nut on some
> threaded rod, plus the homemade couplings between the steppers and
the
> threaded-rod I used also has quite a lot of play in them, so as I
> measured I'd have about 0.8 mm error, I suppose that's a lot, but
as I
> measured it's only out by that much whenever I change direction on
> axis, once it's moving in a single direction the error becomes much
> smaller, now if I use software backlash compensation does that add
0.8
> mm for every step or only when I change direction ??

Discussion Thread

Johan 2005-04-18 08:26:18 UTC how important is backlash in a simple home setup ?? Dhiren Shah 2005-04-18 08:43:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how important is backlash in a simple home setup ?? caudlet 2005-04-18 09:07:31 UTC Re: how important is backlash in a simple home setup ?? Keith Clark 2005-04-18 12:14:02 UTC Re: how important is backlash in a simple home setup ?? apaulsalerno 2005-04-18 21:29:50 UTC Re: how important is backlash in a simple home setup ?? R Rogers 2005-04-18 22:04:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how important is backlash in a simple home setup ??