CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New to CNC Milling and Turning

Posted by volitan712003
on 2005-04-24 17:47:32 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <volts4800@y...> wrote:

> I'm converting my Mill and lathe to CNC. My mill is being converted
by
> a person that has knowledge on what to do but I still need the
> software. I'm doing my lathe. I would like to do servos. What
> electronics do I need? I have read so many posts and articles that
I'm
> really confused!! I have a P2-350 for my computer...what does it
take
> to get from the computer to the servos? including programs?
> Thanks
> barneyw1@c...

In order to use your computer as a cnc control, you'll need a g-code
interpreter, that will send the signals to the drives you need, which
will work the servos. There will be encoders on the servos that will
give positional feedback to the drives, or to the drives and the
computer (that depends on which software you choose).

The simplest setup I can think of is using turboCNC (www.dakeng.com),
which would run gecko drives (www.geckodrive.com), which would work
with your encoders (www.usdigital.com) to drive your servos.

There are other routes, most of which are more involved and more
expensive, each has it's pros and cons.

I guess the real questions are; what kind of machines do you have
(meaning are they large or small), what do you want to accomplish with
them, and how much do you want to spend on the project.

I understand your confusion, I read for months and months before I
actually made any decisions. We haven't even gotten to your power
supply yet.

Good luck and keep asking questions, you'll get there.

David

Discussion Thread

Rick 2005-04-24 06:46:27 UTC New to CNC Milling and Turning volitan712003 2005-04-24 17:47:32 UTC Re: New to CNC Milling and Turning Rick 2005-04-24 22:12:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New to CNC Milling and Turning