CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Transformers

on 2005-04-25 15:43:37 UTC
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...> wrote:
> > Look here:
> >
> <http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2005042509305416&catname=electric&keyword=MBDD>
> > about 1/4 way down the page.
> >
> > Les
>

> Item 10-2167 is 260 volt
>
> In my very limited experiance, the higher votage motor had much more
> cogging than the 130 volt motor.
>
> Also, it does not have a small shaft for an encoder.
>
> If you get these, let us know how smooth the unit spins without power.
>
> 10-1783 is the one for the rest of us. it already has the little
> shaft on the tail end.
>
> Dave

I have obtained two new units here in the UK same as the 10-1783 but I can only find two at 110volt.
problem is we don't have 110 volt here.
I can get a couple of 240 volts ones and it would be worth trying one of these.

Conversion was very easy.
First the bracket was cut and ground off.
I stripped it down, removed the front bearing and built the shaft up with weld then machined this back
down to 16mm to suit the pulley that's going on it.
Bearings are 17mm so anything under that isn't a problem. I also took the oppertunity to extend the
shaft by weld by 1/2" or so.
I scrapped the original pressed steel front mounting and turned a new 5/8" thick alloy plate up to
carry the bearing, two thru bolts and 4 tapped holes to match up with the bridgy.

I used a 500 count 'D' shaper HP encoder on the rear.
I faced the rear housing yo to get a flat surface and made a bush to centralise the mounting plate.
The mounting plate has two mounting patterens, a two opposed hole pattern and a 120 degree pattern.
I used the 120 degree pattern as the 2 hole one overlaps the bearing hole.
I drilled and tapped three 2mm screw holes and fitted the back.
The armature was supported in a steady on the rear bearing and a 1/4" cut off the length of the short extension.
The rest was turned down to 1/4" diameter for the encoder to clamp to.
The motor was reassembed, the encoder cliped on and secured and it was then reay to run.
It works very well, very little cogging but at the moment it's limited to a 24v power supply