CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: NEMA 34 to NEMA 42

on 2005-05-03 10:32:49 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> Michael Larson wrote:
>
> >I just got a Wells-Index CNC 700 and I'm looking into converting it to
> >servos.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7511611969&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
> >That's the ebay listing of some NEMA-34 frame servos that would be
just
> >about perfect. I know I could go cheaper by modifying surplus
treadmill
> >motors or by keeping a watchful eye on ebay, but these look like
they're
> >more or less turn-key (a huge plus). Anything I should know about
them?

> >The problem is that the Wells machine is coming with NEMA-42
steppers in
> >place. What's involved in adapting the 34 frame motors to the 42
> >mount? I looked up the spec sheets on the two, there are different
hole
> >patterns (2.875" square, 34; 3.5" square, 42) and the shaft diameters
> >are different (.5" vs .625").
> >

> If you have a lathe, making adaptor plates for the motors should be
easy.
> Is the Wells-Index a direct drive or belt drive? If belt, then just
get
> a new
> motor pulley with the right bore. If direct drive, the best way is to
> buy a new
> coupling that can be bored out to fit the two shafts. You might
also be
> able to
> turn a sleeve for the motor shaft.
>

> Jon

My concern would be that the new plate would reduce the distance the
shaft extended into the old hole. Will there be enough shaft left to
hold the pulley in the proper place ? or will the shaft need to be
extended ?

Dave

Discussion Thread

Michael Larson 2005-05-03 06:40:10 UTC NEMA 34 to NEMA 42 Jon Elson 2005-05-03 09:13:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NEMA 34 to NEMA 42 turbulatordude 2005-05-03 10:32:49 UTC Re: NEMA 34 to NEMA 42 Jon Elson 2005-05-03 18:01:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: NEMA 34 to NEMA 42