CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC conversion of Grizzly G3616/G3617

Posted by Tom Harrison
on 2005-05-12 02:06:17 UTC
At 5/11/2005 07:42 PM, you wrote:
>Tom,
>
>I just made the jump from a Sherline to a G3616 in October and I love it!
>If you are unsure of buying the Grizzly, do it. While I am very much a
>novice machinist, I feel that it is a great buy for the price and a huge
>step up from the Sherline (which is also a good machine which I often asked
>to do much more then it was ever designed for). I have not converted to CNC
>yet. However, as soon as I get the money and time ( I am currently in
>medical school so I have a very serious shortage of both) I plan to do the
>conversion. I am eager to follow your progress.
>
>Todd Dukes

Cool. Gonna learn how to do CNC "operations", huh? Boy, have you picked
an interesting mix of pursuits!

I've ordered it, but they are out of stock for a couple of weeks, so I
can still pursue more advice before the commitment is made.

I will be building up the CNC myself, from parts. Computers are sort of
my thing, and I've already designed controllers and plumbing for hydraulic
presses....

Thanks for the encouragement.

Tom Harrison

>At 05:51 PM 5/11/2005, you wrote:
> >Is anyone familiar enough with the Grizzly G3616 and G3617
> >to give me advice or warnings on CNC conversion of them, as
> >regards servo power needed, recommended VFD (single phase
> >motors), and ball screw replacements?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Tom Harrison, contemplating a big jump up from Sherline.
>

>Addresses:
>Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>timg@...
>Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
>davemucha@... [Moderators]
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects
>goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
>reach it if you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
>OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
>NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
>THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
>bill
>List Mom
>List Owner
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Tom Harrison 2005-05-11 19:02:50 UTC CNC conversion of Grizzly G3616/G3617 Todd 2005-05-11 23:58:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC conversion of Grizzly G3616/G3617 Tom Harrison 2005-05-12 02:06:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC conversion of Grizzly G3616/G3617