CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power

Posted by m0nkey0ne
on 2005-05-12 11:25:15 UTC
Andy,

You are technically right. That is not in dispute. I just saw an
opening to harass you a bit. You are preaching to the choir ....
Half a dozen guys here would know what it meant if it was written
insideout and backwards and all the rest of us that might think it
looks cosmetically prettier with a slash rather than a dash.

In any event, please don't stop posting here. You and several like
you have made this board a wealth of information. I could name
names, but sure as heck I would leave someone out.

Keep up the good work,
Randy

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Andy Wander <awander@v...>
wrote:
> Randy:
>
> While my terminology may be suspect, in fact torque IS force
multiplied by
> moment arm(radius), NOT divided.
>
> You are correct that the proper way to write it would probably be
oz*in or
> oz x in, but I have seen it written(in books) many times as oz-in
(oz "dash"
> in; not oz "minus" in).
>
> The important part of my (poorly-represented, perhaps) post is that
there is
> no division of the ounces by the inches.
>
> We are saying the same thing; see your example below-the reason that
> 400ounces at 1 inch is equal to 200 ounces at 2 inches is BECAUSE
you
> multiply the ounces by the inches to get either 400 x 1 or 200 x 2,
both of
> which come to 400 "ounces x inches".
>
> Usually written oz-in; I don't know why.
>
> Again, per your example, you divide by 2 to get force at a radius,
due to
> (or causing) a torque, because you are dividing the torque, (400 oz
x in),
> by 2 in, so you get (400 oz x in)/2 in. the "in"'s cancel out, and
you are
> left with (400 oz)/2 which equally 200 oz.
>
> Andy Wander
> Verrex Corporation

Google
> search.
> > Target machine is an RF-31 mill. The 1000 (or was it 2000) line
> encoders on
> > them are over kill, I'll have to reduce that. Or does one of
your
> new servo
> > drivers do that for me?
> >
> > Thanks for the comparison.

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Andy Wander 2005-05-11 12:12:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power lcdpublishing 2005-05-11 12:40:13 UTC Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power Alan Marconett 2005-05-11 16:00:37 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a servo? calculating power Andy Wander 2005-05-11 19:00:06 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power John Meissner 2005-05-11 19:19:56 UTC Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power m0nkey0ne 2005-05-12 09:21:55 UTC Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power Andy Wander 2005-05-12 09:41:07 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power R Rogers 2005-05-12 09:57:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power Andy Wander 2005-05-12 10:07:14 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power m0nkey0ne 2005-05-12 11:25:15 UTC Torque Units-WAS Re: What makes a motor a s ervo? calculating power