CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sizing a power supply

Posted by David Howland
on 2000-06-12 14:12:18 UTC
One good source for power supplies is www.mpja.com
Naturally, like batteries, if the power supplies you locate are issolated
(with a transformer in their construction), you may place the outputs in
series to increase the voltage. When you apply more voltage in a stepper
system, you may increase the heat that the driver must get rid of in
operation. You might eximine your present driver's heat output before you
decide to increase the voltage of the power supplies. If you are running
very hot now, you may run hotter when you double the voltage. If you are
running very cool now.... well. You get the idea.

David R> Howland

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Anderson [mailto:janders@...]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 3:26 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sizing a power supply

Have a question regarding sizing a power supply for heavier duty stepper
systems. I've been running my MaxNC with Compumotor OEM650 drivers (3)
from a single power supply rated 40 volts at about 10 amps.
I'm going to be using these drivers on the Millport I'm buying, and want
to run the amps at their rated 7.5 amps.
I would like to know what amp capacity power supply I ought to
locate/build to handle the worst case load, all three axis running full
power, plus maybe just a bit of margin. Also, I really want to run up to
70 volts.
Anyone have any sources for a 70vdc PS in an appropriate amp capacity?
I really can't afford off-the-shelf new, but am not trying to do this
for $25 either.
I have a PS from a medical device from which I can pull 50vdc at 10
amps. Would this be better that the 40v setup to justify switching over
until I can locate a 70v PS? (it's got outputs for several volt/amp
ratings, and a ton of wiring I wouldn't need and would strip out)
Last question, would I really be better off building up separate
PS/driver, or can I run all three off a sinle PS just fine?

Thanks,

Jon Anderson

Want to win airfare to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a
suite at Bellagio for New Year's? Or 2 roundtrip tickets anywhere in
the U.S. given away daily? Go to Expedia.com for your chance to win...
http://click.egroups.com/1/5292/3/_/423600/_/960838230/