CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motor drive belt tightness

Posted by gary
on 2005-06-02 10:34:50 UTC
I have always relied upon the calculated center to center distance based
on the pitch diameters and belt length. this values are given bythe
manufaturrs and generally you can find the ctc values for given
combinations intables suplied by he manufacturers. Terms like "tight" or
"really tight" are subjective.

I have used this method sucessfully for a lot of years going back to the
"Good old days" of NC. (BTW - anyone who speaks affectionately of the
"Good Old Days" either wasn't there or will also lie about other
things). I have fitted timing belt reductions to Planer Mill Conversons
driving large tables with excellant results. One machine fitted 14 years
ago and still running 24/7 is on a G.A. Gray 24' Planer conversion. The
4 axis CNC control drives the table using an Allen Bradley Servo Drive
and Motor. The Servo Motor output is 410 FT-Lbs, this is coupled to a
compouded timin belt reducton with a final ratio of 10:1. This drives a
4" Diameter ball screw positioning the 45,000 pound table at 200
Inches-per-Minute. Positioning control is done using a 240 Line pe
Revolution Encoder mounted on the dead end of the screw so that it
doesnot see the drive train torsional windup.

This timing belt reduction runs in an oil bath similar to a conventional
gearbox and stills uses the original bearings and belts instlld 14 years
ago althougth the ball screw has been rebuilt several times and replaced
once due to wear.

gary