CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Power Requirements to Mill HSLA & Mild Steels

Posted by Ted Gregorius
on 2005-06-07 05:39:34 UTC
Scott,

I may be interested in your Grizzly.

Contact me off list at ted(at)tagrace.com

Ted
----- Original Message -----
From: Polaraligned
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:33 AM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Power Requirements to Mill HSLA & Mild Steels

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Deep" <deep_drill@y...> wrote:
> I am planning to purchase a CNC Mill or Mill and CNC Kit in the next
> month. I would like to know what size of motors I would need to mill
> High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA) and Mild Steels. This is for hobby
> work so removing a ton of material quickly is not necessary, but then
> again, I don't want to be taking really small cuts just to prevent
> problems.
>
> Also, any advice whether to buy a complete CNC Mill or a manual mill
> and add a CNC kit to it? Any suggestions about CNC kits...which ones
> are good or not? I need to stay on the smaller-size of mills...mini-
> mill-sized or a step larger.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David S.

I have a Grizzly G1007 that is 2 HP and will pretty much mill or drill
anything you can throw at it. Small servos can direct drive it for a
simple conversion. You just need to use Gecko servo drives, a simple
power supply and Mach 3 software. Really pretty easy conversion.
You will pay a LOT more for one already converted. (Ballscrews are
nice, but maybe not immedietly required if you are just a hobbiest)
I am selling the mill, which is in mint condition, for a fraction
of it's new price. I also have servo motors for it and a power
transformer for the power supply. Anyone in Northern NJ can check
it out under power. I need it no more as I have aquired 2 full size
Bridgeport machines.

Scott

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.