CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Software

on 2005-06-15 16:02:21 UTC
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "pug_harley_corvette"
> <bsouthnow@a...> wrote:
>
> > I still need to source a power supply and the software to
> > use. I am a cnc beginner but have a working knowledge of both
> > mechanics, electronics as well as computer skills. I think the
> > project will be fun and I will learn a great deal about cnc.

Have a look at Mach3 from Artsoft.
http://www.artofcnc.ca

This is a very nice and really powerful controller that is available for a small registration fee.
Lifetime support and no harware chain to have to follow up like some.

At the moment it offers far more than any of the other PC based controllers and support is fantastic.
Brilliant manuals and support from many satisfied users.

For the power supply go to http://www.geckodrive.com then support and scroll down and open up the various tutorials.
There is a wealth of proven information here and it's very easy to understand. Power supplies are covered.

As regards software you have got the flow chart right. You need CAD, for drawing, followed my CAM, for G-Code, followed by a controller.

Cad you may have covered with Turbocad but there may be a DXF file import problem with that version.
No problem there are plenty of free CAD programs out there.
Dolphin does a free one, no strings attached. http://www.dolphin.gb.com/

Next comes CAM. You need to think your parts out here as you have a choice of 2-1/2D or full 3D.
Given a choice everyone says they want 3D but the price of 3D programs is only beaten by the learing curve.
Unless you are mould making or need curved surfaces you can get away with 2-1/2D most of the time.
Slots, pockets, islands and shapes come under 2 - 1/2D.
The software to do this comes cheaper and is easier to learn.
Mach3 can even do simple shapes like slots, pockets, bolt circles, keyways and splines inside the controller package as conversational sub programs.
Something that up until now only the big boys had and this means for quick jobs you can work at the machine instead of having to draw a part and process it.

2-1/2D CAM packages include Dolphin, web site already given. Sheetcam, http://www.sheetcam.co.uk, both well supported and though off.
3D packages, low end, include Bobcad and Vector but both are harder to learn and documentation isn't good, many people say this.

John S.