CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT

Posted by Bertho Boman
on 2000-06-17 04:25:52 UTC
Sorry Jon,
My comment was not in any way intended to be negative.

I know that going Digital to Analog (+/-10V) is an industry standard.
All I am saying is that if we can pull together a DSP based motion controller,
we do not need the rather expensive I-O card in the PC and minimum analog
components on the controller board. Most of the stuff would would go into
the DSP and a glue chip. It would be easy to build for the group and
the servo tuning would be done in software. The less analog stuff and the fewer
components, the less things to go wrong.

Note, I am not proposing to do a full motion controller. Leave EMC or
whatever as before. All I am suggesting is to use digital handshaking
between the PC and the servo amp card, use a software tach and interface
the encoder through the servo amp card. No I-O Card needed.

Before someone jumps on me for anti-analog, I make my living designing
electronic products and are comfortable with both analog and digital.
I just think there will be fewer problems when non-electronic hobbyist
assemble the boards.

If you or Matt are still interested, I probably can dig up the article on the software tach.
Bertho
================================

Jon Elson wrote:

> Bertho Boman wrote:
>
> > Ideally, we should do away with all the analog stuff and just output a
> > digital
> > command, and then let the DSP read the encoder signals and convert
> > them to
> > speed and finally calculate the PWM needed. All feedback and
> > filtering
> > would be done in software and programmable without screwdrivers and
> > pots.
> > Nice and clean!
> > Bertho Boman
>
> Yes, but I've been cutting metal with a truly wonderful CNC system for
> two years, now!
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-06-16 12:02:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT Jon Elson 2000-06-16 20:47:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT Bertho Boman 2000-06-16 21:44:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT Jon Elson 2000-06-16 22:03:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT Bertho Boman 2000-06-17 04:25:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT Jon Elson 2000-06-17 21:35:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT imranjawaid@e... 2000-06-18 08:05:57 UTC Re: Out of Estop.. BUT Jon Elson 2000-06-18 20:50:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Out of Estop.. BUT