CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Metric measurements and KCam

on 2005-07-24 08:50:26 UTC
Hi folks

Report back time following your suggestions re getting the controller to
respond to metric .dxf files.

1. Re converting the drawing units to imperial. This works, and is simple
to do with the CAD software. The machined parts come out to the correct
size, but I would prefer not to have to do this step if I could avoid
it. However, in the light of the following, it seems the way to go at present.

2. Inputting the G70/G71 codes. Tried this, but nothing changed. I
subsequently found that KCam does not (according to the help pages)
actually support G70/G71, which probably explains why there was no change
in the distances travelled.

3. Presently, I am restricted to using KCam, as my old laptop only has
enough power to run Windows 98, being a P166 machine with only 32M of
RAM. Mach 2 requires Windows XP to run.

So, I shall have to stick to converting the dimensions in the CAD program
before translating the .dxf file to Gcode. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Now, another query.

Does anyone else use KCam? The reason for the question is that I am still
evaluating the software, and find that with some dxf files, when it
converts it to Gcode, there is a cluster of extraneous cut paths usually at
the 0,0 position. Is this a bug in the software, or is it only a problem
with an unregistered copy? I hesitate to register and pay for a license if
the software is not going to work satisfactorily. I have tried emailing
KCam for support, but get no response. The implication is that one must
register first, but if the software is not going to work properly, what is
the point of registering?

Any comments?

Keith