CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Using cnc mill as a powered hacksaw?

on 2005-07-25 14:54:05 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "c_holm10017" <cholm@m...> wrote:
> This weekend, while thinking about how much effort it is going to be
> to cut off about 2 dozen pieces of 1 inch square brass without a power
> bandsaw, it occurred to me that maybe I could use my cnc mill as a
> poor-man's powered hacksaw. However, instead of having the blade move
> back and forth, I would mount my material in the vice on the mill
> table, fix the hacksaw frame to the base so it can pivot up and down
> with a small weight on the top of the frame, and just set up a bunch
> of back and forth g-code on one axis to move the material and table
> under the blade.
>
> Anyone ever tried that?
>
> Reasons it would not work?
>
> Chris

I would just use a regular chop saw and let the chips fly. They used
to make a steel cutting blade for unit-strut type cut off. But I have
used the regualar carbide tipped wood blades for soft metal more than
once.

I would fear the huge repetitions of running back and forth would be a
lot of wear.

If you want plans for a home-brew power hacksaw (more than a simple
week-end build) I have a link somewhere.

A hacksaw blade in your saz-all or your jig saw would be a pain, but
still better than the hand saw.

Dave

Discussion Thread

c_holm10017 2005-07-25 13:11:01 UTC Using cnc mill as a powered hacksaw? turbulatordude 2005-07-25 14:54:05 UTC Re: Using cnc mill as a powered hacksaw?