CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 536

on 2000-06-22 12:23:25 UTC
Hi Andrew and the list,

> Andrew Werby wrote:
> [Rumor has it that Flashcut is working out a closed-loop system based on
> the J.R. Kerr Pic-servo chipset, although I have no idea how they will be
> pricing it.]

The J.R. Kerr Pic-servo chipset sounds interesting to me, I'm mostly
software/ Digital design. Where did you see it?

> [If you do get two-spindle motors, you might consider using the back ends
> to mount encoders, instead of handwheels. That way, you can set up a
> closed-loop system.]

YES, I like that Idea. I want DRO's. I'm thinking a $6 PIC micro could
do the quadrature decode for a pair (3?) of shaft encoders nicely. I
saw http://www.mcs.net/~kulaga/dro.html Tom Kulga's DRO... looks good!
Now I'll have to watch for steppers with tail shafts *AND* tapped holes
for the encoder. I thought HP used to make a plastic encoder that glued
on? Might be wrong. It's probably out of production!

> [While it's disconcerting not to have handwheels if you're used to them,
> after a while you won't miss them. The MaxNC was designed from scratch as a
> CNC mill, so it never had handwheels. For rough positioning use the jog
> buttons, and if you want to be precise use the mdi commands.]

Sounds like a special control panel or keyboard with the DRO's would be
nice. I'm thinking 3X5 graphics LCD, some jog buttons, Spindle Tach,
etc. But I'd better get a little further on my CNC retrofit first!

Best Regards,

Alan

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2000-06-22 11:20:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 536 Andrew Werby 2000-06-22 11:38:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 536 Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-06-22 12:23:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 536